Saturday 15 October 2016

Inn Signs - The Ship and Mitre


This pub in Liverpool's Dale Street was a bit of a mystery to me.  I looked in my various pub name books and could not find any explanation of the name.   There are plenty of pubs named after ships in Liverpool - well, there would be wouldn't there.  And the city has a cathedral and therefore a bishop and therefore a mitre.  But what on earth was the connection?  


(Note the mitre on the wall above the sign)

The explanation turned out to be quite simple.  The name was a composite of the pub's two previous names - The Flagship and The Mitre.  Before the pub was built, around 1935, the site was home to a coach-house and reference to this can be seen in the foyer as you enter the building. 

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes presumed mysteries can surprise us with their simple explanations - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that the history and name have stayed. Here in the U.S. things are completely washed new again every few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that it is on Dale street. Is that a man's name or a woman's name to you? I have a step mother and a brother named Dale, it causes confusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale is not a common forename in the UK but when it is used it is usually male, Kay. I suspect the Street was named for being in a dale - a valley, especially in northern England

      Delete
    2. As in the Yorkshire dales! :-)

      Delete
  4. Glad you got to the bottom of that one. Small mysteries like that can haunt me until i figure them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cats - I Googled "ship mitre" and there are a MILLION websites about Wirral and that pub! It's famous!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive